Skip to main content

Books I Read Every Summer

When I was in my graduate program, there was a particular professor that... well, let's just say he shouldn't have been there. Everything we wrote was apparently garbage, every discussion left students angry and upset... not what a MEd program should be. ANYWAY. The one and only thing that I remember being worthwhile in the two classes I took with him was a resource day. This was partially because it had nothing to do with him, but it was also because everyone brought a book they were passionate about that they had picked up along the way. It was so incredibly helpful, and I went shopping after that! So, since I know the usefulness of having someone else look at something and say, "Hey, this is worthwhile!", I thought I would share mine!

These are some more targeted towards ELA/MS, but there is something for everyone!

Whether you are in year 1 or year 40, anyone can use a reminder of the things you need to remember to do each year to make your class great. I tell all baby teachers that these books are indispensable and should be revisited every year (maybe updated versions, but still!). I like this one because it's K-12 and it touches on a LOT of things. Get it here.

This one is actually from my time at University of Portland, where I received my undergrad AND graduate degrees. (Go Pilots!). I was blessed to have many amazing professors that picked amazing books for us to read. Marzano is a no-brainer; read everything his genius brain has put out there. Seriously. But this one is great. I still have the first edition (fancy!), but here is the link for the newest edition.

 THIS. This one is a new addition to my library. SO many pictures. SO many scenarios. SO accessible to all types of classrooms. K-12, you can use this book. I cannot say enough. I mean, my cookbooks HAVE to have a lot of pictures so I know I am doing things right... this is the same way. Love this book. Don't even hesitate to click here and buy it.

 Here's another one of those baby teacher books that you should read even when you're not a baby teacher. This one has some more technology aspects and a slightly different approach, so I got it. I think I (not-so) secretly want ALL Jossey Bass books... Get this one here.

 This one also has an updated version, but I love this one because it discusses life skills and skills students need in the real world. Although it says K-12, I think it's more geared to maybe 4-12? It comes with a DVD so you can see first hand what each method looks like in action. Get the 2.0 here.

 If you are an English teacher (gr 6-12) and you haven't heard of Jim Burke, GET ON IT. He is another one I was introduced to in college (Thank you, Dr. Thacker!), and I always make sure to read this one at Christmas Break, too. This is the second edition with some great tips about technology. He also has a very helpful Common Core guide to LA for a range of grades- he is awesome!
This is another great one for ELA MS/HS. I like it because it addresses the major differences there are in LA than any other grade in terms of paper load, grading, material, etc. A great resource for any secondary ELA teacher. (As I am making these links, Amazon is politely reminding me that I bought these already using BIG BOLD LETTERS. Thank you, Amazon. :))

Finally, everyone needs a spark, and about year 4, I needed one. This is a great book with some awesome ideas to make your class different than all the rest. Notice all the tabs (I heart tabs). And the fact that it's a Jossey Bass. AGAIN. Get it here. 





  I hope this was a little bit helpful to you as you venture into August, the time when we really start prepping and planning and coming up with great ideas. One can never have enough resources (this is what I tell myself when I have the 283983598th Jossey Bass book in my hands :) ), and it's great to have someone let you know it's worthwhile so you don't have to do the hunting. Happy Reading!

~Caitlin 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Me!

Hello there, fellow teachers! My name is Caitlin, and I am a teacher in Portland, OR. I am currently teaching at a private school, teaching 6-8 language arts and a 6th grade homeroom and religion. I am going into my 10th (!!) year of teaching, and I am still incredibly passionate about what I do! Outside of school, I have an awesomely patient husband, an incredibly active toddler, and a crazy cat and dog. Life is busy! I am always, always looking for new and exciting ways to reach my students. There are many changes going on in my professional life with new literature textbooks, juggling a toddler and the grading load, and revitalizing curriculum; even after 10 years, I am open to new things. So that's the focus! Help others, share ideas, and hopefully make some great connections along the way! ~ Caitlin 

Erin Condren Teacher Planner!

In search of a new teacher planner, I decided to do some research. I needed a lift. I needed a "hug" of sorts with the thing that I used all day long in the classroom. And Erin Condren planners seemed to be the ticket. Last year was a little rough for me. It was hard leaving the kiddo, hard juggling all the grading and being a good mom, wife, daughter, sister, teacher, friend, coworker... you get it. So when I came across the Life Planner, I LOVED it. I told myself that, somehow, I would make it work for a teacher planner because it was just so colorful and uplifting. BUT THEN. I discovered they actually made a teacher planner, and two whole hours of researching and watching videos on how to use them later, I bought one. Two weeks later, I bought the Life Planner, too. :) There are so many great things about this planner, but even receiving it was a gift! It's like a marvelous backsplash for life... :D SUCH beautiful packaging. I opted not to get mine persona

Inspirational Posters, Anyone?

  I LOVE MEANINGFUL QUOTES. There are so many awesome quotes that I wish I could carry with me at all times, or have someone pop out of nowhere and say them to me. I have had the Word Swag app for a while, but it never occurred to me to use it in the classroom. What I did was go onto Pinterest (can I say enough about Pinterest...) and look up some great quotes. Then, I picked a background and a font that I liked and voila! How can we use this?  - Posting quotes for a quick write prompt/starting point. Making them into art helps it stick and makes it more memorable as well. - Beginning a unit or novel with a quote that applies to the themes/ messages.  - Simply posting them on Edmodo or Google Classroom to give them something to think about.  - Blow them up as a picture and post them! (Note: I haven't tried this yet, but it looks like the quality is not diminished when making it into a large picture) Get the Word Swag app here.  ~ Caitlin